- 1 kg. snails
- 2 onions
- 1 clove garlic
- A tip of dried chilli
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 200 ml. tomato sauce
- Meat stock
- 50 gr. serrano ham
- Allow snails to stand in flour for two days. Wash and add salt, then allow ro stand for 1 hour to loosen the mucous. Wash under cold running water until they are clean.
- Put snails ina pot, cover with water and heat till the meat has left the shell.
- When snails are dead, drain and cover again with water. Add an onion and cloves, bay leaves, fennel and salt.
- When the snails are cooked (when they can be removed easily from the shell), drain.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the remaining onion and saute with garlic and chilli. When the onion is soft, add the finely chopped ham. When the saute is ready, add the snails and tomato sauce, mix well and cover with the broth used to cook the snails.
- Simmer slowly until the sauce is ready. Place in individual serving bowls and serve hot.