- 1 small beef round
- Duck fat
- 200 gr. spring onion
- 200 gr. Ratte potatoes
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 bag of shallots
- 1 glass of red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and black peppercorns
- Cut the fat from the duck breast into long, thin strips. With the help of a larding needle, make incisions in the beef round and push the the lard into the meat with the needle.
- Season and and place in a preheated oven at 220ºC on a roasting dish with a drizzle of olive oil, star anise, cinnamon and finely chopped shallots. Roast for about 15-20 minutes: the time will depend on the size of round. The beef should be well roasted, but pink in the center.
- While the beef is roasting, sauté the spring onions with the ratte potatoes over a low heat with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprig of rosemary. When the potatoes start to brown, add a knob of butter and a teaspoon of sugar. Let cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes, then remove from heat and let stand with a lid on to so the potatoes continue ooking under their ownheat.
- Once the beef is roasted, remove from the roasting dish to which you now add a glass of red wine. Simmer over a low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Serve the beef round cut into medallions along with the onions and potatoes and accompanied by the sauce.
You can also use bacon or beef fat.