- 225g self-raising flour, sifted
- 150g plain flour, sifted
- 220g caster sugar
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 165ml milk
- 3 eggs
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 egg white beaten
- lemon juice
- caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 12-hole cupcake pan with paper cases. Place the flour, sugar, butter, milk, eggs and zest in a large bowl.
- Using electric beaters, beat on low speed for 30 seconds or until combined.
- Increase speed to high, then beat for 2 minutes or until the mixture is thick and the butter has been incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. Leave to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- For the topping mix your egg white with the juice of one lemon and caster sugar. Mix well until you have a paste.
Make sure your oven is at the right temperature before putting the cake mix in