- 400 gr. of black, squid-ink spaghetti
- 400 gr. mussels in their shells
- 400 ml. of cream
- 2 gr. saffron
- 30 gr. butter
- 1 bunch chives
- Salt and pepper
- Steam the mussels in a saucepan with half a glass of boiling water till they open. Allow to cool and reserve.
- In a heavy saucepan with boiling water, a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil, cook the pasta for 5-6 minutes, for fresh pasta, or 16-18 minutes, for dry pasta.
- Cool the pasta in a bowl with plenty of ice water in a pan. Melt the butter in a saucepan and lightly toast the saffron.
- Once the saffron is tender, add the cream and cook until the volume reduces by half. Add the pasta, mussels, a teaspoon of the water used to steam the mussels and a handful of chopped chives. Season and serve.
- Serve with sauteed, diced cuttlefish.
Saffron threads are sold dried, so it is advisable to warm them slightly either in the oven or in a pan so they release more of their flavor.