- 3 large potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 4-5 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic
- 300 gr. desalted cod fillet
- Olive oil and salt
- First of all prepare a traditional Spanish potato omelette. (See recipe for Spanish potato omelette)
- Once the omelette is ready, prepare the bacalao al pil-pil. Heat a splash of olive oil over a low heat and add the cod fillets. Allow them to caramelize slightly and release their jelly for about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Now, make the pil-pil, stirring the oil and jelly in a circular motion.
- Once well mixed, place the pieces of cod on the omelette and serve the sauce on top.
Note: Be careful not to stir to vigorously to avoid scraping the frying pan. Use a light circular motion until the sauce thickens like a mayonnaise. If you want a thicker sauce, add more oil; if instead you want a lighter sauce, add more jelly or water.