- 340 gr (12oz) red splits lentils
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 slices back bacon, finely diced, or a ham bone
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 3 carrots, finaly diced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 springs parsley
- 1,5 litres (2 pints) water
- Salt and freshly ground Black pepper
- Chives to garnish
- Wash the letils in a sieve under running water. Tip into a owl and cover with warm water. Soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and, if using bacon, add i tinto the pan and fry until lightly coloured. Mix i the vegetebles and garlic and stir-fry for about 10 minutes, until soft. Drain rhe lentils and mix tinto the vegetebles with the herbs and water. Add the ham bone, if using.bring to the boil then simmer gently for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils and vegetables are very soft. Remove and scum.
- Remove the herbs ad the ham bone, if using, pour the soup into a Blender and blend to a purée. Strain through a sive back into the saucepan and adjust the seaosning, if necessary.
- Reheat before serving, garnished wit chives.