For the romanesco and almond balls:
- ½ unit steamed romanesco (variety of broccoli)
- 250 ml soymilk
- Nutmeg and pepper
- 40 gr of corn starch
- 2 or 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 bunch spinach leaves
- 6 shiitake mushrooms
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Soy sauce
- 3 pitted dates
For the vinaigrette of nuts dates and ginger:
- 4 peeled and chopped nuts
- 4 dried pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of agave
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of ginger juice
- Boil or steam the romanesco until al dente and then chop it up.
- Heat the soy milk reserving a little to dilute the cornstarch. When the milk is hot add the diluted cornstarch and cook until it has thickened to the texture of a thick béchamel sauce.
- Season with pepper, nutmeg and salt. Add the chopped romanesco, flour almonds and the chopped dates then let it completely cool down.
- Now quickly blanch the spinach (this will reduce the oxalates in the spinach) place in some icy water then drain.
- When the béchamel with the other ingredients have completely cooled take two spoons and make little balls then top them off with one or two leaves of blanched spinach, depending on the size, and wrap them around the balls.
To make the vinaigrette:
- Mix all the ingredients together and them allow to marinate. Finely slice and sauté the shiitake mushroom with the oil and soy sauce.
To assemble the dish
- Steam the balls of romanesco until they are warm then place on a serving dish add some alfalfa sprouts and sautéed shiitake onto each ball and finish off with the vinaigrette on top.