- 175g red lentils
- 350ml cold water
- 110g manchego cheese (grated)
- 1 red onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley
- ½ tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 1tsp. of lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp. single cream soya
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon of butter o margarine
- Pre heat oven to gas mark 5, 190º C
- Rinse the lentils and cook in a tightly covered pan for 10-15 minutes, check after 10 minutes to see if you need to add more water. When the lentils have cooked remove from the heat and add the cheese, chopped onion, parsley, cayenne pepper and lemon juice. Season to taste.
- In a separate bowl lightly beat the eggs and stir in the cream then pour this over the lentils. Grease a 450g loaf tin with the butter and press in the mixture. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes until it feels firm to the touch. If you are serving the loaf hot, let it stand for 10 minutes before turning out of the tin. Alternatively serve cold with a salad.
- Tomato and onion salad goes well with this.
You can cook it the day before and heat it gently in the microwave the following day