- 500 gr. sugar
- 1/2 liter of water
- 1 lemon
- Carefully peel the chestnuts, taking care not to break them. Reserve.
- Prepare a syrup by adding 500 gr sugar and a pint of water to a saucepan. Add a vanilla pod, star anise and a lemon rind, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the peeled chestnuts to the syrup and allow to cool completely.
- Now simmer again for 10 minutes over a low heat. When it starts to boil ever so lightly, let cool again.
- We repeat this process a half dozen times, keeping the heat to a minimum so the chestnuts don’t break up.
- Allow to cool, remove and store chestnuts in in a dry place, away from direct sun light.
Wrap the chestnuts in a porous but resistant cloth so they don’t get smashed around during the cooking process. Some people go as far as using individual tea balls or infusers for each chestnut.Champagne or cava.